After escaping from Rome, Caiqian and I packed our bags and took a Ryanair flight out to Barcelona. Before I describe the wonders of Barcelona, let me say that Ryanair stinks. I got a ticket on Ryanair because it wasthe cheapest, but afterwards I felt like I had just bought something from a scummy car-salesman. For example, on our Barcelona flight, we were first amazed by how cheap the tickets were ($60 for the both of us). But by the time we finished the online checkout it had become $120 for us. Now it was still the cheapest flight we could find, but I wish they had been upfront about what the actual ticket prices were.
The flight itself was also bad. So many noisy kids. Why were you all crying the whole flight? Was it because Ryanair kept playing advertisements on the overhead speaker system? Also, when the Ryanair stewardesses came around to sell food, I asked them for tap water. Instead of giving me tap water they handed me a water bottle and asked for my money. After I explained I only wanted tap water, they took the bottle back and kept moving. I ended up drinking out of the sink in the bathroom just to stay hydrated. When we finally landed everyone started applauding, like they didn't expect us to land. It wasn't stormy or anything, but apparently doing your job deserves applause.
I strongly recommended using Easyjet over Ryanair.
Anyways, when we landed in Barcelona we got to the Garden House, the most laid-back and fun hostel of our trip. Right when we entered the super-friendly guy at the front desk gave us free maps with bus stops and subway lines. The hostel itself is an old mansion that had been converted and decorated into a hostel. The Garden House was quiet, the people were friendly, and the vending machines even had beer (no, I didn't drink any). Besides that, the bathrooms were spacious (with hot water), we had free wifi, and the hostel was close to a subway train to town center. Best of all the hostel was cheap and nicely decorated.
Above: The Garden House was artsy.
But Caiqian and I couldn't waste our only day in Barcelona at the hostel. So we got the maps the Garden House receptionist gave us and started moving.
Above: Unlike Venice, Caiqian can navigate around this city.
Our first stop was for me to do something long overdue. Remember the first thing I wanted to do in Europe?
Above: Maitea Anticipation.
Well Caiqian did some research and she found the best place for Jamon Iberico. My parents had previously shoved it in my face that they had some while I was in Edinburgh. It was time for revenge.
Above: Take that, parents!
The plate was chock-full of the most deliciously prepared pig I have ever had.
Above: It really was better than bacon.
After the world's most satisfying appetizer, we got our meals, which they were great too. I had a chorizo sausage, fries, and duck egg platter that was to die for.
Above: Cheap comfort food can be quite satisfying too.
Caiqian had a wonderful tomato sauce and fish dish. Now I thought it sounded fairly strange, but this tomato sauce was amazing (and I usually don't like tomato sauce). I think the secret was to use a lot of garlic. Even after Caiqian finished the fish I was spooning up the last bits of sauce on her plate to slurp.
Above: World's best tomato sauce.
After our very satisfying meal at Maitea's, it was time to visit Barcelona's most iconic monument, the Sagrada Familia.
Above: Sagrada Construciona.
Now the tickets to go inside were a bit pricey (and the line was huge), so Caiqian and I decided not to see the famous ceiling. That doesn't mean you can't though. Hallelujah internet!
Above: Sagrada Familia's Ceiling.
Caiqian and I did get some shots of us with the church (and its construction) behind us however.
Above: We're in front of the Sagrada Familia!
After the Sagrada Familia, Caiqian and I decided to go up (and I mean up) to Parc Guell. Getting there was a bit of an uphill walk. But about halfway we found these very long outdoor escalators that did a lot of the work for us. Not everyday you take a long outdoor escalator up to a park.
Above: Long climb. Even longer escalator.
At the top of the park we saw Barcelona's beautiful city. And an anarchist's gathering.
Above: "We know your capitalist paradise... we look for the Hell of freedom." Woah Nelly...
After a bit of a walk Caiqian and I decided to set down on a nice stone wall. While we were sitting there was this guitarist playing music behind us who really set the "We're in Barcelona" mood.
Above: This guy is the sound of Barcelona.
There was a slight breeze, the sun was on our backs, and we could see Barcelona all the way out to the coast. Wonderful.
Above: Caiqian enjoying the beautiful view.
Above: Like the Sagrada Familia from earlier!
We eventually left, but not before buying the guitarist's music to remind us of Barcelona.
Next up, we got to see Barcelona's twisty side.
Above: Twisty-turvy Barcelona.
The hallways were very fun to look down. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to construct.
Above: Screwy Hallway.
At the end of the twisty hallways we saw some pretty interesting buildings that a lot of people were posed around.
Above: Gingerbread houses from the park.

Above: Steel Drum Musicians.
What was really nice though were these two musicians who were playing the steel drums. I really enjoyed the music because steel drums have this really cool sound, kind of like the main beat in "Under the Sea."
Above: Steel Drum Musicians.
Above: Plastic Drum "Musician."
After a good bit of walking in the park it was time for Tapeo, Anem de Tapes. It was the place to have quality, inexpensive tapas. I'll be sure to return. When we arrived, we just kept ordering tapas and tapas, and wait-staff were more than happy to keep dishing us plate after plate.
Above: Where happiness comes from.
Above: Tapas and Tapas and Tapas Galore.
Above: Jamon Serrano, Eggs and Potato Tapas. MMMmmmm...
Above: Pig's Feet Tapas.
Above: Salted Chocolate and Oil Tapas.
All the tapas (even the pig's feet) were instant favorites. My most favorite dish was the jamon, potato and eggs, although our salted chocolate mousse dessert was fun too.
After exiting we decided to see Barcelona's night attractions, like the famous Torre Agbar tower. What we didn't plan on seeing was Tron on our way there.
Above: Tron!?
Eventually we made it to the colorful tower.
Above: The world's most expensive lava lamp.
The sidewalk around the Torre Agbar tower was pretty interesting as well. It featured colorful rectangular prisms on an hilly pavement.
Above: Surreal sidewalk.
Above: Magic Fountain.
The last place we wanted to see was the magic fountain, which was supposed to look like this:
Above: Magic Fountain.
But by the time we got there it looked like this.
Above: Who turned off the magic?
To be fair, we arrived half-past eleven. Oh well, I guess it's just another reason why we need to come back to Barcelona. I don't think Caiqian would complain.
The next city we visited was my personal favorite. It's also the place where I walked across the most dangerous walkway in the world. Get ready acrophobists, because coming up Caiqian and I visited Alora and El Camino del Rey!
P.S.
Why wasn't I informed that the Hobbit is confirmed AND is being directed by Peter Jackson? Awesome!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.