Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Great City of Linlithgow

So after my trip to Edinburgh Castle, I had a pass to go to any castle or palace I wanted for the next five days. On a whim I decided to visit Linlithgow Palace. I envisioned a large grandois building covered in gold and portraits and red velvet and old painting of dead people. But what I actually got was so much better. It all began on a subway. I was a bit nervous because I'm used to letting others find out how to get places. Getting lost was a real worry.

Above: I hope I'm on the right subway.

I made it alive. Once I arrived at Linlithgow I was relieved to find out it was a small town. I didn't have the faintest idea where the palace was, so I just went to some construction workers and asked them. After being pointed in the right direction I found it. A nice French couple took my picture when I got there.


Above: Eager Bryan.

Linlithgow Palace was AWESOME. No fancy gold or ornaments or anything, the only surviving parts of it are made of stone. Also when I got there (Tuesday midday) it was abandoned, completely empty. To give you a sense of how empty it was, there wasn't even a guy to collect my ticket. This was an urban explorer's heaven. No guides telling you what you can't do, no displays, nothing but pure fortress.

Above: Left: Linlithgow Palace. Right: Linlithgow Chapel.

So I get inside and the first thing I see is this huge awesome fountain inside a totally hallow court yard. Facing the court yard are hundreds of what used to be windows. First thought, "This place would be a godly lasertag place." I'm pretty sure everyone would agree this was made for lasertag.


Above: Can you count the windows?

Above: Massive Stone Playground.

Above: Can't you just see the lasertag happening?

I then climb up some of the large spiral towers. There's no guardrails or safety anythings, just really steep, dark, spiraling stairs to every floor. If I tripped it would have HURT. I eventually get to the first floor.

Above: View of Staircase.

Each floor has many many windows to the outside as well. It blows my mind how the castle has been able to preserve itself. I take some pictures outside. What an unspoilt beauty! And to have it all to myself! This loch and grassy hills makes me feel like I'm taking pictures of middle earth. And I can't describe it, but the air is so fresh and invigorating. It was like I pulled some fresh grass from the earth, put it to my nose, and inhaled it while standing beside a cave. It was a mixture of green pastures, ancient stone, and a breezy lake (pardon my Americanness, loch).

Above: Pictures of the Loch and a very happy Bryan.

The castle walls are compsed of an inner wall and an outer wall joined with bridgelike connections. Imagine a box inside a larger box, with bridges in the space between the two connecting the boxes. Here's a picture of me on the outer wall taking a picture of the inner wall.

Above: Looking at the inner wall.

Here's a top-view of the gap between the outer and inner walls.

Above: At the ground there are rooms.

I climbed to the very top of one of the spiral staircases and go outside to walk along the castle walls.

Above: Gate to top of castle walls.

I got that exciting "I'm high up" feeling again as I walk on top of the outer wall. To my left is a very large fall, to my right is an equally large fall to the outside.For some reason the floor isn't flat, which makes it more exciting!

Above: My View Forward.

Above: My View Left.

Above: My View Right.

I then start walking along the wall. I get to be between a rock and a high place.

Above: Sqeeeeze.

I made it through the squeeze to see a door to an adjacent tower.

Above: The Walkway Continues.

I then turn left to see a bridge that connects the outer an inner wall. I want to cross it. But it was an emotional overload! the rocks were covered in moss, it started raining, and there was nothing in terms of safety for me! But the truth is the drops to the left and right of me were very intimidating.


Above: The bridge I didn't cross.

Here's a look of the bridge at a different angle.

Above: The bridge... of DOOM.

Now for those saying I shouldn't attempt crossing El Camino Del Ray, I still have my heart set on crossing it. At least it has a safety harness.

Eventually I go back and climb to the top of one of the towers.

Above: These stairs are starting to look a bit sketchy...

Once I made it to the top I just took a bunch of pictures of the surrounding area. I could feel the wind in my hair. Linlithgow Palace officially made buying that Edinburgh Castle Explorer ticket a worthwhile purchase.

Above: (deep inhale of freshness).

Above: What a Loch (I think loch = lake).

Above: It was quite a drop down for no guardrail!


Above: Top of Nearby Chapel from Perch.

After thoroughly exhausting Linlithgow Palace, I went to check out the adjacent chapel.


Above: Top of Nearby Chapel from ground floor.

Above: Inside the Chapel.

So I went inside and started taking pictures. Near the front I saw where the big man preached. I was amazed how long the church was, and was impressed that someone could orate to so many so clearly.

Above: Looking from the Front.

After looking around, I started twisting door handles to see what the adjacent rooms held. I love opening doors, and if they're not locked I usually consider them fair game.

Above: I love opening doors.

I entered what must have been where the priest studied. There was a nice table with what appeared to be a very expensive cloth draped over it. Seconds after taking this picture, a church official kindly escorted me out. Apparently I had entered a holy place not meant for tourists.

Above: Holy of Holies.

After apologizing I decided to go outside and inspect the loch closer. I walked down toward the dock, since Linlithgow is famous for its waterfowl.

Above: A walk to the pier.

I didn't see many bird here, so I started walking around the loch.

Above: His head looks like my tie.

I found some birds and decided to buy a loaf from a nearby baker to feed them.

Above: Bird Feed.

It got wild pretty fast!

Above: Attack!

The only problem was that afterwards the geese kept expecting me to produce another loaf. They followed me for half a block before letting me go. I felt like I was being followed by thugs.


I then bumbled my way back to the train station. My first truly solo exploration had gone splendidly. I highly recommend visiting Linlithgow for any who are ever in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.